Information about
Mercury Amalgam Dental Fillings


1. Mercury is very toxic, more so than lead, cadmium or arsenic. Methylmercury and mercury vapor are the most toxic forms.

Here is one page on Youngstown State U., Youngstown, OH describing the hazards of mercury.
This search of Mercury Vapor Poisoning will give you further information about mercury.

2. There is no known toxic threshold for mercury vapor. Some authorities say that no amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered totally harmless.

3. Dental amalgam fillings are approximately 50% mercury. One average size amalgam filling contains about 780 milligrams of mercury, which is enough to exceed the USEPA non-dietary Mercury Intake Standard for over 100 years.

4. Mercury is not “locked” into the amalgam. Subjects with amalgams are constantly exposed to mercury every day. The amount of exposure is greatly increased when the fillings are exposed to chewing, brushing or heat. It takes at least 90 minutes for these increases to ‘cool down’ to prestimulated levels.

5. Mercury vapor very easily enters the human body and its cells. It also easily penetrates the blood-brain barrier and the placental membrane. On an average, humans inhale at least 17,280 times each day. It takes the body 30-70 days to eliminate one half of each dose of mercury.

6. Human autopsy studies prove that dental amalgam mercury enters the patient’s body and builds up with time.

7. Mercury is known to damage the brain and nervous system, the thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands, the heart and lungs, as well as hormones and enzymes. Mercury is a very potent suppressor of the immune system and is known to damage the brain and nervous system of unborn babies.

8. It has been scientifically proven that even one amalgam filling will generate electrical currents when placed in the teeth. The health effects of these currents are as yet unknown.

9. There is no published research connecting mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings to any human disease state. On the other hand, there is no published research proving such connections do not exist. In over 160 years of use of dental amalgam, no controlled biocompatibility studies have been done, even though patient exposure to mercury from these fillings has been known for years.

10. The American Dental Association, OSHA and the EPA, have declared leftover
scrap dental amalgam to be a toxic hazard
to dental personnel, to the dental office and to the environment!

Due to the fact that the American Dental Association, the FDA and the U.S. Government do not recognize dental amalgam mercury fillings as a potential problem, do not expect dentists or doctors to be aware of dental amalgam mercury fillings as a consideration in the diagnosis of your health problems.

YouTube - Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas